Bob Vila’s Must-Do Projects to Pest-Proof Your Home
The Smithsonian Institute estimates that there are about 10 quintillion individual insects alive in the world.
That’s a number with 19 zeros! In the United States alone, there are 91,000 insect species, so it would be nearly impossible for any homeowner to disregard the possibility of a pest infestation at some time.
The good news from home repair expert Bob Vila is that there are projects homeowners can add to their regular maintenance lists that will go a long way toward pest-proofing.
How to Kill Ants & How to Kill Roaches
• Keep countertops clean of crumbs.
• Store food in air-tight plastic containers
• Repair any water leaks under sinks.
How to Kill Bed Bugs
• Check all hotel room beds for bedbugs before settling in.
• After vacation, unpack in your garage and put clothing directly into the washing machine.
• Protect your bed at home with plastic mattress and box spring protectors.
Outdoor Pest Protection
• Clear your yard of all brush, logs, and leaves.
• Keep firewood at least 20 feet from your home.
• Clean gutters regularly.
• Eliminate any standing water in old tires, flower pot plates, or areas of the yard that don’t drain well.
• Caulk all gaps and cracks around windows, doors, and your foundation.
Call in a Pest Specialist
No matter how vigilant a homeowner can be, some pests do persist. Calling in a pest control company such as Ecola for a free termite inspection is one of the smartest moves you can make.
During a termite inspection, a specialist will tell you if you need termite control, rodent control, or bed bug removal. They’ll also be able to tell you what conditions around your home need improvement. There are solutions available that are preventive measures as well as for eradication should you have a pest problem. Some of those solutions are family-friendly, including natural termite control. Call Ecola Termite & Pest Control today for your free termite inspection. Quotes cheerfully quoted over the phone at (800)471-BUGS (2847).