& Pest Inspection Estimate! 800-332-BUGS (2847)
Rodent Activity Picks Up Nationally
When nearly 70% of pest control companies in a national poll say that rodent activity is significantly higher than normal, it’s time to take serious note. Several publications in California have also reported similar findings in the state, with the San Diego Union-Tribune reporting that “San Diego and other urban areas in California are experiencing a rat infestation that threatens public health” and the California City News saying, “It’s time to talk about California’s rat problem.”
Why Are Rodent Infestations Increasing?
Rodents are quite used to living among people because they’ve come to learn that wherever we are, there is consistent access to food, water, and shelter. As COVID drove many restaurants and clubs to close, more rodents found their way into residential homes. And, because people spent much more time at home, simply noticing an infestation became easier.
Climate change is another opportunity for rodents such as rats and mice to thrive. Warmer winters mean longer mating seasons, and wildfires and floods move rodents into more populated areas.
Signs of a Rodent Infestation
Rodents leave very clear signs of their presence, which lets you schedule a rodent extermination as soon as you notice one or more of these signs:
- Scratching noises in your walls at night
- Feces and urine in your pantry, in drawers, and on counters
- Chew marks on cardboard food packages
- Oily dark smudge marks along walls and baseboards
- Small holes in your walls and floors where rodents make travel trails
- Your dog standing and staring or barking at the wall
A rodent infestation is serious for homeowners for several reasons:
- Rodents carry parasites, and their feces and urine carry bacteria that can cause disease.
- They will also cause significant damage to your home by using insulation and items stored in your attic or basement to build their nests and by chewing on electrical wires.
- Rodents in your home will contaminate the food in your pantry.
- Rodents breed profusely and have large litters, so a small number of rodents in your home or workplace can quickly become a large infestation.
The Best Solution for Eliminating Rodents
Homeowners and business owners should partner with a pest control company such as Ecola. Should you see signs of an infestation, Ecola will provide you with a free inspection that outlines our custom course of action for eradicating the rodents.
As a homeowner, you can make your home less attractive to rodents by sealing all the tiny openings around doors, windows, and foundations to keep them out. Also important is to keep counters and pantries clean of crumbs and to store food in sealed plastic containers. Maintaining a yard clear of debris, fallen leaves, and wood is advised as well.
Call Ecola today at 800 471-BUGS (2847) to schedule your free inspection. With rodents on the rise, you’ll want to make sure your home or office is rodent-free.