& Pest Inspection Estimate! 800-332-BUGS (2847)
Experts Advise to Avoid These Summer Pests
Some summer pests are simply a nuisance, while others can be destructive or pose health risks. Here are some of the bugs Chief Entomologist of the National Pest Management Association, Dr. Jim Fredericks, says we should avoid:
- Flies can put a damper on any outdoor BBQ or picnic. They’re important to control as they can transmit illnesses, food poisoning, and lay eggs on surfaces where you and your family eat and play.
- Mosquitoes are known for the itchy welts they cause, but they can also carry diseases like the West Nile or Zika viruses, and Malaria.
- Ticks carry harmful germs that transmit Lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
- Bees are mostly non-aggressive and do not want to sting. However, they will sting when they feel provoked. Besides the pain caused by a bee sting, for those who are allergic, their sting brings the chance of anaphylaxis.
- Wasps, unlike bees that can only sting once, are capable of stinging multiple times. And, like bees, an allergic reaction can cause wheezing, throat swelling, and in severe cases, anaphylaxis.
- Spiders outside of the home are actually beneficial creatures as they prey on other pests. When in your home, they are mostly just creepy and unwanted. Most spider bites will go away on their own within a week, but brown recluse or black widow bites require medical attention.
- Most ants are tiny nuisances rather than a danger. But ants such as carpenter ants can damage your home by eating through wood.
- When termites infest a home, the damage they cause can be extensive and expensive as these tiny terrors are often not discovered until too late.
While there are some actions you can take to make your home and yard less appealing to summer pests, there are occasions when calling upon a pest control specialist like Ecola is your best defense.
Ecola specializes in alternative pest control methods that are family-friendly. Don’t let your summer fun be dampened by any indoor or outdoor pests. Call Ecola at 800-471-BUGS (2847) for a free inspection.